Spring Is a Perfect Time for Tackling That Garage Mess
You may give more thought to cleaning and organizing an attached garage in the spring since it’s actually part of your main residence. Anything that’s physically connected to your home is hard to forget when it’s time to make your annual spring cleaning checklist. But what about your detached garage or other outbuildings?
If you’re an owner of a metal garage, you know what a blessing it is to have access to convenient, protected outdoor storage space. But is all of your space really accessible? If you’re like a lot of Americans, you may have allowed your metal building to become a catch-all storage space for anything and everything. There’s nothing wrong with using your metal structure as multipurpose storage space, but if all you ever do is toss stuff in there and then turn and run away… Well, you’re probably not taking care of your garage very well, and you’re certainly not using it to its fullest potential. If we’re honest, there are probably quite a few of you reading this that couldn’t fit a car in your garage right now if you tried!
The good news is that things don’t have to stay like this! Spring is a perfect time for you to get that metal garage mess under control. Here are a few tips to help you clean & organize, so that you can truly maximize the use of your available protected space!
- Decide Your Building’s Purpose Why did you install a steel garage in the first place? What was your intended use for the building? And how would you really like to use it now? If you’ll go ahead and identify that up front, this will motivate you to move forward with your plan of attack!
- Declutter This may be the least fun part of the project, but it’s also probably the most important. Take EVERYTHING out of your garage and move it onto the driveway or into the backyard around your building. Sort it into piles of things you want to keep, things you can donate, and things that are ready to be trashed. If it’s something you haven’t used in over a year, err on the side of getting rid of it vs. continuing to hoard it!
- Hose It Off One of the nice things about having a steel garage is the fact that you can just take a hose or pressure washer to it and go to town – water won’t hurt steel! If you have a poured foundation, you might want to add a little soap to remove stains and get the floor really clean. Rinse everything out well.
- Air It Out Now, give everything plenty of time to dry. Open all the doors and windows to allow for better airflow. Setting up a box fan or shop fan can help to speed up the process.
- Clean the Doors & Windows While you’re waiting for the interior to dry, you can go ahead and give a little more attention to cleaning the garage doors along with the garage door frame area. You may be surprised how much gunk can build up there! Vacuum out your windowsills, and go ahead and give the windows themselves a good cleaning.
- Assess Your Storage & Organization System One of the best ways to maximize your garage space is by adding appropriate wall-mounted racks, hangers, and shelving. Not only does this help to open up your floor space, but it also helps you to keep all your tools and accessories organized and easy to find when you need them.
- Time to Move Back In Now you can finally bring your stuff back in! But do so intentionally, being sure to keep like items together. If you were thorough in getting rid of things you really don’t need to keep in your garage anymore, you might even be able to park a vehicle in there again!
Making the Best Use of Your Metal Garage
A metal garage really is a fantastic multipurpose storage facility for everything from vehicle parking, to workspace, to lawn & garden equipment storage, to keeping all your recreational equipment, and more! But your garage is only useful to the extent that you keep it clean and well-organized. Following these simple spring cleaning and organization tips will help you get the most out of your metal building.
But what if you don’t own your own metal garage? Or what if you’re ready to add another steel structure? Reach out to the pros at Metal Garage Central! We can provide you with the perfect steel structure to meet any home, farm, or business needs!
Why Metal Garage Central?
Why choose Metal Garage Central? Simply put, we’re the experts at everything metal buildings! Our sturdy steel structures are rugged, durable, adaptable, low-maintenance, and completely customizable. And each of our made-to-order buildings is custom crafted to meet your exact specifications! If you can think of it, we can have it built, delivered, and installed just for you. In fact, we include delivery & installation of your building at no extra charge!
There’s no need to wait – we also have several preferred financing options to help you be able to afford the metal garage or other building you need! Reach out to us online, or simply give us a call at (980) 321-9898 and let one of our friendly building specialists show you the Metal Garage Central difference!